The Omni Parker House is renowned as the longest continuously operating
hotel in America founded in 1855 by Harvey D. Parker. The hotel
and its restaurants are credited with a slew of famous firsts, including
the Parker House Roll, Boston Cream Pie, and the term "scrod." Though
the elegant old inn has hosted numerous celebrities over the decades,
its most famous group of patrons was certainly the members of the
nineteenth century Saturday Club.
Beginning in the mid 1850s, a select
group of multitalented males assembled in the old Parker House on
the last Saturday afternoon of each month. Their notoriously festive
roundtables featured readings, intellectual exchanges, and endlessly
flowing chatter, mirth, food and spirits. The Club's members included
philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet and Atlantic Monthly editor
James Russell Lowell, novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne, poets John Greenleaf
Whittier and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and writer Oliver Wendell
Many famous visitors dropped by while in town including Charles
Dickens, who debuted his famous "A Christmas Carol" to an appreciative
group at Parker House before publicly presenting it at the nearby
Tremont Theater. Visitors to the Omni Parker can still see the fireplace
mantle from Dickens' old room, and the mirror he used for practicing
his performance gestures. You can also enjoy Parker's Bar, where
the Saturday Club met, as well as the Press Room, where John F.
Kennedy announced his bid for the U.S. Congress in 1946.
Omni Parker House
60 School Street
Boston, MA 02108
How to get here: Directions
The Literary Trail guided tour begins
at the Omni Parker House.