This home was erected in 1759 by a wealthy Tory and later served as George Washington's headquarters of the Continental Army for nine months spanning 1775-1776. In 1837 the young Harvard professor, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow rented a room in the house. Six years later, Longfellow and his new wife, Fanny Appleton, were given the Brattle Street home as a wedding gift.
The Longfellows home quickly became a haven for an international roster of guests including famed poets, scholars, educators, and writers of the day. The voluminous poetic works Longfellow completed during his 45 years at 105 Brattle Street included "The Courtship of Miles Standish," "The Village Blacksmith," "The Song of Hiawatha," and "Paul Revere's Ride."
Longfellow National Historic Site
105 Brattle Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Hours: Under renovation through early 2000
Gardens are a stop on the Literary Trail from June-August, 1999.